Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Week 12 The Unknown


This week I finally got to spend some time in the lab. During the first couple of days I watched safety videos and learned about moving around in the Dalby Lab safely.
Finally today I was assigned an unknown bacteria, Red 5, to identify. It was contained in a test tube. 
In order to grow it and be able to start the dichotomous key, I used two Petri plates and inoculated them with Red 5 using a heat sterilized metal loop. The two platting techniques utilized were lawn and isolation streak. 
The plates were then placed upside down in the incubator at 36.5°C and colony growth should be visible in a day or so. If I successfully isolated Red 5 in the Isolation Streak plate, a single line of colonies should be present.
I am not in the lab on Thursdays, so I will be posting results and beginning to determine cell and colony morphology next week.
My two Petri plates in the incubator :)

No comments:

Post a Comment