Friday, November 28, 2014

Week 13 Unknown Identified... or not

This week I was able to identify Red 5 as Bacillus Cereus. The first step in the dichotomous key was to perform a Gramm Stain. Because Red 5 appeared purple under the microscope, it was established that I would be working with a Gram Positive. The shape of the bacteria was rods, so I learned I had a bacillus. Then I performed an endospore stain to determine whether the bacteria formed spores. No spores where found. The same day I also started a glucose and MSA fermentation. The glucose fermentation came back as a positive acid with gas (Oxygen), and the MSA was a negative. So I concluded I had Bacillus Cereus.
The nice thing about science is to take a step back and have to re-do it all! After discussing my results with Josh, he asked I performed a Gram Stain again because more than likely I had incorrect results. After doing so, I got different results, we believe I may have insufficiently washed the Crystal violet off the smear the first time around. My bacteria now locked clearly pink. The next step in the dichotomous key at the lab was to perform an Oxidase test. Such was a negative. So before leaving the lab, because I knew the result for the fermentation test, I inoculated a SIM tube, and an indole test tube. Next week I should be able to walk in the lab and read my results and finally figure out my unknown.
My first Gram stain clearly appeared Positive (purple)



MSA plate (Negative)


Glucose Fermentation, aerobic positive acid


Endospore stain set up



Second Gram stain, as you can see much different.



No comments:

Post a Comment