Thursday, February 12, 2015

Week 3. Semester 2. First Plant Extraction. Have something?

This week I was able to perform an extraction using plant tissue Matt had saved for practice runs. During the extraction I encountered quite a few conflicts with the information in the protocol I had and Matt's protocol. Eventually I found out he had most of his adjustments in the protocol described in his research paper. So lesson learned, I double checked in the paper before moving ahead with the next step in my protocol.
This morning I finished the extraction and although it looked as if I had nothing (a DNA pellet was supposed to be present in the alcohol solution). I centrifuged it for 5 min. and voula! There was a visible precipitate. I am not sure it is DNA. I actually think it's not because of it's color. However, I will run an electrophoresis tomorrow to check.
So I know I have something, I'll find out tomorrow whether it is DNA.
I will be discussing my results next week.

Improvised water bath for lysis buffer and set up to grind plant tissue sample


First time working with Phenol and Chloroform


Barely visible precipitate on dried tube (hoping this is DNA)



DNA suspended in 1xTE buffer and stored in the refrigerator to dissolve

No comments:

Post a Comment