Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Week 5. Semester 2. DNA extraction success!!

Last week I was unable to run another practice extraction due to the holiday. This week however, I was able to complete my extraction in one day! If you recall from my first time doing one, it took me a whole week to complete it. Today I electrophoresed a couple of gels, please refer to images below. I have found adding short centrifugations in the protocol after addition of ethanol for precipitation helps to more effectively isolate the DNA. When loading the gels I used orange loading dye instead of the usual green/blue dye and found it to interfere less with the luminescence of cyber green under UV light. Please enjoy the pictures below! I am very excited about my results and although not compared to seeing it live, I hope you share some of the excitement!
For next week, my plan of action will depend on the arrival of cellulase and PCR primer. I am curious to try alternative extractions. But also to move ahead in the project and test the extractions yield and quality for PCRs.


This week's DNA extraction from practice sample IIIC 



Last extraction from practice sample IIIA shown in first upper lines
this week's extraction from IIIC shown in three lower lines



Two gels in UV viewer
As close as you can get to seeing it live




No comments:

Post a Comment