Thursday, March 5, 2015

Week 6. Semester 2. Another extraction.

This week another DNA extraction was performed. This time I used tubes pre-loaded with Phase Lock, a Vaseline like gel that has a density in between the DNA solution and phenol-chloroform, which helps keep the phases separated. I personally do not believe it was as helpful as I had anticipated but I will try using it once more, next time centrifuging the tubes before using them. Shipping may have contributed to the gel getting spread out in the tube and I think that hindered more than helped my extraction. I also found a possible DIY protocol to make a gel similar to Phase Lock, I may try that as well next week.
Instead of extracting DNA from one of the practice samples in the lab, this week I decided to extract DNA from a Palo Verde tree behind the west corner of the library on campus. I believe having the fresh specimen collected and proceeding to extract DNA immediately may contribute to higher amounts of isolated DNA. Please refer to the images below for the results of the extraction.


Both from same specimen and protocol. Difference may be due to difference in
concentrations of DNA solution due to the fact I drop one of my tubes at some point
in the extraction and lost a bit of aqueous solution.


Lines 1 & 2 are from last extraction, from tree on SW corner of library.
Lines 3-5 are from practice specimen labeled IIIC.
Lines 6-8 are from practice specimen IIIA.




2 comments:

  1. Do you have any theories as to why lanes 1 and 2 (although from the same tree) appear to be different in the bottom gel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I am so bad at realizing I have a comment! Sorry for the lateness
    Yes! and no... So at some point in the extraction I dropped the tube with the fainter banding (lane 2 on top and bottom gel). The bottom gel has DNA from the same tube as 2 on top gel. So I would guess the solution concentrations were different. Note lane 1 and 2 banded more similarly on the top gel, so I wonder if it could have been a loading mistake on the bottom gel?

    ReplyDelete